- Announcement: This row is for Sponsor Announcement.
- Apple: The hottest Tech event date is out. WWDC 2014 falls on 02–06 June. Ticket price $1,599 each. FYI, it’s sold out every year.
- Apple: Yesterday, Mircosoft announced “Cortana” aka “the Siri killer”. Today, Apple acquires Novauris. A speech recognition firm to work on Siri. The company has a huge database of automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology which is likely to improve Siri performance.
- China: A Chinese wine ecommerce site has just raised US$69M in new funding. The ecommerce are going crazy in China. 5. Flickr: Current Flickr product head Mark Spiering is leaving for a startup in berlin. The startup has a product “EyeEm” similar to Flickr and have about 10M downloads now.
- Facebook: You can now make free calls from Facebook Messenger and the in-call screen looks kinda of like the iOS7 itself.
- Facebook: The company paid out a total of $1.5M in 2013 for “687” bug reports. About 14,763 reports of suspected flaws were received but only 687 were positive. The highest payout went to a Brazilian researcher at $33,500.
- Google: The company that Google brought for $3.6B – NEST, stops selling it’s smart smoke alarm today. There is a feature which a user can disable the smoke alarm with a wave of the hand (aka Nest Wave) and this could be unintentionally activated. They are also asking all users to switch off the Nest Wave due to safety concerns.
- Samsung: The Samsung Windows phone is out. A 5-inch 1080p display, a 13-megapixel camera and 2GB ram. Most interestingly, it comes with an infra-red blaster which turn the phone into a remote control for TV.
- Singapore: Someone is selling the databases of popular daily deals and shopping sites in Singapore. For about S$0.12, you get an email, home address, email address. mobile number and shopping history.
p/s if you like Nightly to be delivered to your inbox, you can signup here.